August 19 – September 06, 2017
Five Places For European Participants Available
IDEE (Iranisch-Deutsches Epidemiologie Engagement) is a German-Iranian initiative to strengthen international cooperation in Field Epidemiology Training Programme (FETP) and public health. In line with this initiative, a three-week summer school at the School of Public Health of Tehran University of Medical Science (TUMS) will be conducted with faculty members of both TUMS and three German institutes, namely Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, the University Clinics Hamburg-Eppendorf, and the University of Applied Sciences, Hamburg).
The first two weeks will be held on the campus of TUMS in Tehran. The last week will take place in Akanlu near Hamadan. Accomodation will be provided by TUMS.
- To provide basic understanding and training regarding control of infectious diseases and prevention with the aim of responding to emerging and current public health threats;
- To intensify and sustain international cooperation and networking capacity in the fields of epidemiology, microbiology, public health, and outbreak investigation;
- To provide a better understanding for study designs in epidemiological research methods.
Eligibility for Participation
- Work experience of at least two years in the field of Public Health
- Health personnel, preferably engaged in infectious diseases and a degree or proficiency in:
- Public Health
- Veterinary/Human Medicine
- Equivalent life science disciplines
- The applicant should be familiar with epidemiology and biostatistics principles and techniques.
- Fluency in English
To apply for the programme, please contact Dr. Norbert Schwarz (schwarz(at)bnitm.de). For the registration process high-quality scans of the following documents are required:
- A passport-size photograph
- A letter of motivation (max. 300 words)
- A detailed and relevant C.V.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in health sciences along with the complete transcript of all records
- Proof of English proficiency
- A letter of recommendation from your current employer / An endorsement document from your current employer
- A copy of passport’s main pages
A tuition fee of €300 is required upon acceptance.
- What is included in the course fee?
- The course fees include the registration fee, course materials, coffee/tea and lunch.
- What is not included in the course fee?
- The fee does not include travel costs, dinner, insurance and other costs.
- The fee also does not cover accommodation cost, however TUMS will provide accommodation for international participants at a low price.
- Five participants will be offered scholarships. Applicants who desire to apply for a scholarship are advised to submit a separate letter in which they explain the reasons why they believe they are entitled to receive a scholarship.
- The organizers will facilitate visa application for successful participants. The participants are required to apply for a visa as per future instructions.
- TUMS School of Public Health will offer participants the opportunity to take field visits in Iran.
- The deadline for application is May 15, 2017.
- Acceptance letters to successful applicants will be sent out by the end of June 2017.