Reconstruction and reorientation
With the liberation by the Allies in 1945, a phase of reorientation began at the Bernhard Nocht Institute. The Institute's directors cultivated international contacts and made intensive efforts to establish the first research cooperations with South America, Asia and Africa. In 1968, the Institute established its first research station in Liberia, West Africa, and a few years later took over the management of the clinical laboratory of the Albert Swiss Hospital in Lambaréné, Gabon. With the founding of the Department of Virology in the 1950s, the Institute received one of the first electron microscopes in Germany and acquired the corresponding expertise. It was thus also able to significantly support the establishment of electron microscopy at the Instituto Oswaldo Cruz in Rio de Janeiro.
However, after an external review in 1986, the Science Council stated that the BNI did not meet the expectations of a modern non-university research institution. Tropical medicine had failed to use new disciplines such as immunology or molecular biology for its research.